If you’ve been following me for a while, you know that I’m into essential oils and diffusers. I love candles, but I’ve been looking toward more natural ways of adding fragrance to my home. Essential oils are in almost everything! You truly cannot get more natural. When I first got into them I diffused oils in my office and classroom a lot. I also made some DIY cleaners for the house and read online about other uses so I could get the full effects. New to oils? Here are my top 5 favorite ways to use them!
- Freshen up the Garbage Disposal – this is my favorite thing to do because it’s so darn easy. We use our garbage disposal every day, so a lot of nasty stuff gets thrown down it. I used to use harsh chemical cleaners to keep it smelling good…totally gross! Instead I simply use 10 drops of lemon oil with cool water and run the disposal three times a week. Done!
- Diffuse based on the seasons. Now that Fall is next up on my season list, I like to use oils like Cinnamon, Clove, or Orange oils for the fall and switch to Lemon and Lavender for the Spring (which also helps with allergies!)
- Make my own lip balm. I tried this recipe way back when and it was awesome! I didn’t have any cute bottles or glasses to put it in unfortunately. You can omit the beeswax to make this 100% vegan.
- Natural makeup brush cleaner! I wrote this awesome post at Divalicious about DIY Brush Cleaner. It’s so easy! Do it right now and have clean beautiful brushes. 🙂
- Cleaning made easy: Hello Glow is my go-to for all of my essential oil recipes. I’m loving Lemon, Peppermint, and Wild Orange for all of my cleansing needs.
What types of natural essential oils do you like to use?
Okay ladies and gentlemen, I’ve been actually working on this post for a long time since I wanted to have as much information as possible for you. Even though this post says “currently” obsessed, I’m pretty much going to be permanently obsessed with my new essential oils. Here’s the scoop: first of all they are sustainably and ethically sourced, they are CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade), and they WORK! I first got into doTerra from Myles. His breeder and our now good friend, Nancy, uses all holistic methods for flea and tick prevention, pain management, and more. I’m down with the natural approach and since May, I’ve been regularly using oils for multiple tasks around the house. Here’s how I use some of my faves and for what purpose!
The above is my go-to for air purification. The On Guard contains cinnamon bark and boosts immunity. Lemon also purifies the air and Wild Orange helps to boost energy and a general sense of wellbeing. I’ve been using this blend in a diffuser almost every morning on the weekends when I air out the house and have windows open. It also smells like FALL TO THE MAX!
For nighttime, we diffuse Serenity Blend and lately, Eucalyptus since I’ve been battling a cold and congestion. Even Myles loves the Serenity blend. All three of us fall asleep pretty quickly with this blend going.
For headaches I’ve used a diffuser or topical blend of Peppermint on my temples and the back of my neck. I also couple this with a ton of water and the occasional heat therapy. It works for a mild/medium headache.
Myles’ flea and tick repellent (which also works for humans), is a blend of Aloe, Water, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Terrablend, Cleansing Blend, and Geranium Oil. I spray this on him and his harness and collar once per day. Luckily, the summer is winding down and the cooler weather means less bugs of all types.
So far I’ve been having a great time adding oils to my lotions and even to my laundry soap (Lavender towels? Yes, please!) and it’s been fun playing around with different diffuser recipes. I’m still candle-holic, but I love that alternating with my oils also gives some health benefits. As I find more recipes and uses I’ll post them! 🙂
Here’s to the oily life!